Joho the BlogPew on how we get our news these days - Joho the Blog

Pew on how we get our news these days

Pew Internet has published the results of an important survey on how we’re getting our news today.

I haven’t read the whole thing but one little point leaps out already:

Among those who get news online, 75% get news forwarded through email or posts on social networking sites and 52% share links to news with others via those means.

Note that this breaks the usual rule that 1% of the online population does the work that the other 99% “consume,” which applies (extremely roughly) to Wikipedia edits, tagging, etc.

[LATER that day:] In fact, it’s fun watching tidbits from the report surfacing on Twitter.E.g. Jay Rosen @(jayrosen_nyu) points to Micah Sifry‘s writeup (@Mlsif). Scott Rosenberg (@scottros) reminds the Pew folks that “participatory news consumer” is an oxymoron. Meanwhile, Steve Rubel (@steverubel) points to Mike Melanson’s post at ReadWriteWeb about a report that says that Facebook drives three times as much traffic to broadcast media websites than Google News does.

4 Responses to “Pew on how we get our news these days”

  1. Great Stuff !!

    Online Clothing
    Online Shoes Store

  2. Joho the Blog » Pew on how we get our news these days…

    Joho the Blog » Pew on how we get our news these days…

  3. […] Shared Pew on how we get our news these days. […]

  4. Joho the Blog » Pew on how we get our news these days…

    Joho the Blog » Pew on how we get our news these days…

Leave a Reply

WordPress Anti-Spam by WP-SpamShield


Web Joho only

Comments (RSS).  RSS icon

Creative Commons License
Joho the Blog by David Weinberger is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

Creative Commons license: Share it freely, but attribute it to me, and don't use it commercially without my permission.

Joho the Blog gratefully uses WordPress blogging software.
Thank you, WordPress!